Now that you have your blog set up, you are ready to start talking to the world and more importantly, potential prospects. Always keep your target audience in mind as you begin writing your posts. By having an idea of who your audience is, you are far more likely to be successful at persuading them to take some form of action, whether it’s to subscribe to your blog or gain an interest in your products or services.
You should also write each and every post for your target audience’s benefit, supplying as much value as possible. One way to achieve this is to ask your readers what topics they are most interested in, then write posts on these topics. You may want to keep a poll in your sidebar that lists topics relevant to your blog and then after a week or a month, focus on the ones that receive the most votes.
When should you write your posts?
- Write your posts early in the morning so they can reach as many readers as possible throughout the day
- Write your posts on the weekend or at night and set them to post first thing in the morning on the day you want them published
- Write additional posts throughout the day, but spread them out so you increase the total amount of visits to your blog
What type of posts should you write?
- Depending on your business, there are numerous types of posts you can write, but some of the more popular are reviews, lists, announcements, speedlinks, instructional and interviews. For more ideas, check out this list of 20 types of blog posts
- Focus on giving your readers what they want. If they read your blog for industry news, write different types of posts that supply this type of information
- Give your readers even more value by writing posts that can be grouped together at the end of a series, week or month. This post is a good example of this type of post
How long should your posts be?
- Generally, you want to keep your posts as short and concise as possible so that readers can quickly get the information they need from them
- Organize your posts with subheads and bullet points so that even if your post is longer than your readers have time to read, they can quickly scan it for the information they are looking for
- Write long, comprehensive posts for the most important information in your industry. By doing so, your post will be seen as a valuable resource on the topic and help your blog gain credibility
Now that you are armed with the tips to succeed at writing your blog posts, get started. As Virgil said, “Fortune favors the bold”. Start writing and let the world hear your voice. Share with them the valuable information that is unique to you or your business and your blog will surely succeed at helping you reach your small business goals.
Remember to keep your audience in mind at all times, and whenever possible, ask them for suggestions on what to write about and how to improve your blog for their needs. Blogging will probably become one of your favorite things to do, but ultimately, your blog is for your readers, not you. By giving them the information they want, you will increase your reader base and gain a higher level of satisfaction for helping those that look to your blog for the information only it can offer.