Keeping your blog loaded with fresh, up-to-date content requires constant discipline. Blogs are incredible vehicles for providing free advertising and branding opportunities for your company, but the time and energy needed to do so can be substantial. I’ve stressed over and over again the importance of updating your blog on a consistent basis, and in today’s tip, I will go over some of the ways you can go about doing this.
In order to keep your site up-to-date and relevant to your industry, you need to understand the benefits of updating. You also need to know how to get fresh content, if you can’t deliver it yourself, and where to find new ideas for future posts if you do. Below are some of the guidelines we’ve used to help our clients create meaningful blogs that keep their readers coming back for the most useful current information on their topics.
What advantages will I see by updating my blog regularly?
- The most important thing you will see by offering a consistent stream of useful information is a continued increase in visitors and regular readers alike
- Nearly as important, and more so in some minds, is the search engine authority your blog will earn by updating consistently. Search engines love new content that is relevant to the site it’s published on
- Long-term, your blog will gain the reputation of a trusted source for information, and if you are focused enough, the title of being an authority in your niche. The rewards for this are endless
How can I get fresh content if I don’t have the time to create it myself?
- There are numerous services on the Internet where you can find others to write your content for you at an affordable price. Some to check out are Elance, Guru and Scriptlance.
- Webmaster forums are another great place to find freelancers who would love to write fresh content for you for a reasonable price. Check out Sitepoint and DigitalPoint
- There are several well-established article directories that allow you to use their articles provided you keep the author’s information intact. While I don’t personally recommend this strategy, some good sites to check out more information are EzineArticles and GoArticles
Where can I find good sources of information to write my own fresh content?
- The Internet is a vast network of information. Explore it and find your own places of inspiration that will help you provide more insight on your niche
- Use blog search engines to see what others are talking about. Places you can find hot trends are Technorati, Google Blog Search and Blog Search Engine
- Social networking sites like Digg, Reddit and StumbleUpon are great sources of up-to-date information that is popular on the Internet right now. You can also read Lorelle’s post for hundreds of other ways you can find inspiration for your next post
Whether you write the content or yourself is secondary to getting quality material posted on your blog on a consistent basis. Truthfully, no one ever needs to know who wrote the post, though I think it’s in best journalistic standards to attribute all work to its rightful owner. However, ghostwriting is an acceptable form of publishing you may want to consider. If time is your main nemesis, there are many options for you to look into. As with all things concerning your business, do your due diligence and make a sound decision for your future.